FSSAI registration or license is based on the business volume and premises. Depending upon the installed capacity or turnover or location, applicant premises are eligible for the license such as central license, state license, registration, railway etc. Our Registration Team at J&P is well-versed with the procedure and the requirements and we take care of the registrations from start till end.
For all other FBO apart from small-scale business, FSSAI license has to be obtained. FSSAI License can be classified into two categories i.e. State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License based on the size of the business whether it is a medium scale or large scale business.
Generally, FBO who are large manufacturers, importers, exporters dealing in large-scale food business need to obtain FSSAI registration from central government and FBO with small to medium sized manufacturing units, transporters, marketers, traders, etc., need to take FSSAI registration from the state government.
FOR WHOM IT IS REQUIRED TO OBTAIN FSSAI LICENSE IN INDIA:
The following individuals or entities must obtain FSSAI Registration or License as per the rules and regulation of the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006:
- All types of Food Manufacturer
- Food Packaging unit
- Food Storage unit
- Wholesale food business operators
- Food Traders
- Online Food Business Operator
- Caters or Hotel Raw food material suppliers
- Exporter and Importer of food products
- Transporter and Distributors
- Food Product retailers.
PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING FSSAI REGISTRATION:
- FSSAI registration is initiated by submitting application to food and safety department.
- This application can be accepted or it may be rejected by the Department within 7 days from the application date and the fact has to be intimated to the applicant in writing
- If the application is accepted, then the department will grant a registration certificate with the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
- FBO should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours.
ADVANTAGES FOR OBTAINING FOOD LICENSE:
- Creates consumer awareness
- You can use FSSAI logo, which can build a goodwill among the customers.
- Set down science-based principles
- To facilitate food safety
- The research and development sector is responsible to maintain the safety.
- New guidelines are introduced which are compatible with international organization
- Set up as evidence proof studies for drafting policies.
- There is a huge chance of business expansion.
CONSEQUENCES OF NON-COMPLIANCE:
Any registered or licensed person under the FSSAI has to adhere to the rules and regulations under the FSS Act, 2006. Food safety officer generally inspects the food business operator’s facility and identifies the level of compliance with the regulation using a checklist. Based on the observance level, the food safety officer marks it as:
- Compliance (C)
- Non-compliance (NC)
- Partial compliance (PC)
- Not applicable/Not observed (NA)
Based on the above, the food safety officer (FSO) might issue an improvement notice where ever required per Sec 32 of the FSS Act, 2006. If the business operator fails to comply with the improvement notice, the officer after allowing the licensee to show cause may cancel his license.
Further, non- compliance and not obtaining of food license attracts penalty and imprisonment